Sunday, October 09, 2005

Search Debate - Are we missing the point?

I read Robert Scoble blog entry this morning about search. I fail to understand the fascination for improving the search. I am of the opinion that one needs to be smart searched in order to get the best out of the search tool. Just because you have the best chisel in the world, you can not be the best sculptor in the world. The point is, getting the best of the tool requires smart human searching.

Robert had an example of keyword "PLAY" (as in looking for stock symbol PLAY for Portalplayer Inc.). If I am searching for stock information on PLAY, I would certainly type "PLAY stock".

As a non-geek user of search engine, I would like the engine to "assist" me in finding stuff that I am looking for. Currently, the leading engines - Google, Yahoo and MSN are all "passive" towards the user. I am looking for an engine that will work with me interactively in refining and narrowing the search.

Robert, there is a limit to which the current search model can be made efficient. You are trying to make an inherently ineffective method of searching more efficient. Investment of time and money needs to be towards better user experience and an active participation of the engine in searching. I need better search assistant.

1 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger wrs said...

I am of the opinion that one needs to be smart searched in order to get the best out of the search tool.

Good point – but a search engine's attempt is to make using the web easier, i.e. to reduce the need for smartness of an individual user. So why not to rescue the user as near to him as possible? Why to force him to become more smart?


I would like the engine to "assist" me in finding stuff that I am looking for. Currently, the leading engines - Google, Yahoo and MSN are all "passive" towards the user. I am looking for an engine that will work with me interactively in refining and narrowing the search.

Using a thesaurus or a classification presumably could assist one to identify the concepts one is looking for. But since long ago I didn't see any web search engine anymore that makes use of such tools. On the other hand, news hosts like lexisnexis still use these tools – but that doesn't help any web user to find wanted web content...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home